We are glad to share the latest developments at IST with you. It´s been half a year since we launched our brand new school. We truly hope that you are satisfied with the journey so far. Currently, IST is evolving from startup phase into the intense pedagogical development phase.
The IST basis of curriculum development, learning practices, and assessment will be directly linked to the IB Primary Years Programme (PYP), its standards and practices in 2018 and to the Middle Years Programme (MYP) in 2019. It provides a systematic and holistic framework for the all-around development of students, endorses harmonized planning and teaching between teachers, supports multidisciplinary learning and establishes school practices and standards.
From January to March our school is undergoing a rigorous feasibility study as a mandatory part of consideration phase for applying for the PYP candidacy status. We expect to submit the application for candidacy by the end of March, receive the PYP candidacy status in summer and start as an IB candidate school from September 2018. The status enables us the access to IB professional workshops, consultations, online resources, a network sharing practices and know-how.
The school is already setting up its own practices and standards aligned with PYP framework. It requires hard work of school staff and also an open collaboration with the school community.
The IB standards require that a school appoints a PYP coordinator who has a key role to lead pedagogical development activities. The IST has entrusted this responsibility to Mr. Ryan Calupas, our Grade 3-4 homeroom teacher with a previous IB experience including the authorization process. The introduction of his part-time responsibilities as the PYP coordinator gives you an idea of what needs to contact him.
The PYP Coordinator Job Description in brief:
1. Pedagogical leadership: development and implementation of the programme; the PYP is planned, taught and assessed collaboratively
2. Documentation: a record of PYP planners, PYP archive; understanding/use of PYP documents by staff; IB publications available to the school community.
3. Communication: collaboration system of PYP staff, parent information sessions and newsletters a liasion between the IB office and IST, documentation for authorization and evaluation.
4. Professional development (PD) of teachers: informs PD opportunities and keeps PD records, assists, and guides on PYP issues.
5. Resource management: recommendations to purchase the resources to support the PYP; the establishment of an inventory of resource.
We are sure that by appointing the PYP Coordinator we are taking a big step forward in supporting the quality of learning at IST according to the IB standards.