Formulation and objective of the curriculum
The curriculum of International School of Tallinn is based on the Estonian National Curriculum for basic schools, the Private School Act, the Act of Elementary and Secondary Education of Estonia, the statute of the school, and agreements between the school and its community.
We provide general, grade-level education taught through the medium of English and within an international and multicultural learning environment.
The objective of our curriculum is to support each student’s personal development by taking into careful consideration their individual needs, ethnicity, cultural background, and plans for their further education.
At IST, we nurture each individual’s motivation to learn, and we cultivate self-knowledge, choice, responsibility, tolerance, global and environmental awareness, and dignity.
To develop its students, IST
- Values a daily co-operation of the students of diverse cultural backgrounds (gender, age, language, nationality, social background, academic abilities and skills
- Practices educational principles and offers a school culture that help to raise a person who is socially and environmentally aware and able to think critically
- Promotesa healthy lifestyle and Earth-friendly living
- Creates a safe, innovative, and creative learning environment
- Uses the opportunities the community offers to educate and develop its students and teachers
- Is open to the social environment around us
- Includes the school community and their talents in school development
- Practices the methodology for compound classes and differentiated learning
- Uses methodology that supports students who have little or no English skills
- Integratescreative activities into teaching, which help the English as a second language (ESL) children express themselves
- Integrates different subjects in order to promote each student’s social, linguistic, and learning skills
- Practices effective and transparent decision-making
Integrating creative subjects such as arts, crafts, design and technology, and music into other subjects is valued at IST. This helps students who have limited or nonexistent English-language skills to express themselves.
Integration between different subjects is used to develop each student’s language and work skills.
The roles of Personal and Social Education and Citizenship syllabi are extremely important in the school curriculum. Together with the teaching approaches, school culture, and learning environment, these subjects help IST develop its students’ values and social competence.
The roles of Personal and Social Education and Citizenship syllabi are extremely important in the school curriculum. Together with the teaching approaches, school culture and learning environment these subjects help IST to develop its students´ values and social competence.